Ready for improved health, a happier work life, and better sleep? Regular exercise can provide these benefits. We need more exercise and we need more hours in the day. What is your motivation to commit to regular exercise? Try this activity to help you find your motivation.
Go someplace you can sit without distraction for five minutes. Imagine that you are retired and living your ideal lifestyle. What does your day look like with less work responsibility and more leisure time - playing with grandkids, gardening, or perhaps golfing? What would bring you a sense of satisfaction and fun? Can you draw a picture or cut a picture from a magazine of what that would look like? Keep that picture where it will remind you why it is important to exercise every day. There’s your motivation.
The next obstacle in our busy lifestyles is time. If you are not exercising at all, ten minutes per day is a wonderful place to start. Try one or more of the ten tips below.
1. Get a fitness tracker. Knowing how many steps you take per day can incent you to walk more. Many trackers include a reminder to move each hour.
2. Get a fitness buddy and hold each other accountable. Remind each other to move.
3. Schedule active family time. Hike, walk, bike, together as a family.
4. Co-worker need advice? Ask them to join you on a walk.
5. Need to listen to a conference bridge call? Pick up your headphones, cell phone, and go for a walk.
6. Is your dog overweight? Exercise together. Take Fido for a walk.
7. Do crunches while watching TV.
8. Create a list of enjoyable activities, then mix up to keep it fresh.
9. Plant and maintain a garden.
10. Skip the elevator and take the stairs.
Do you have additional tips to fit some exercise into a busy day? Please share with our community in the comments. More hacks, insights, and tools are included in DYG Coaching’s weekly email and you will never miss a blog post. Sign up today!