Fail to plan, plan to fail is a popular saying in the project management world. Running short on time can derail the best intentions to eat healthy. When hangry hits we all reach for the fastest option, which usually isn’t the healthy option. Here are some tips to help you with better choices.
Plan your menu a week in advance. Choose a list of your favorite recipes or do a quick google search on meal plans. Check your cabinets and make a grocery list, then plan only one grocery store run for a time saver. A grocery store run can take 30-60 minutes if you add up the drive time, walking through the store, and waiting in checkout. That adds up to 3.5 – 7 hours per week!
Use some of that time savings for meal prep. One of the trainers at my gym spends 2-3 hours cooking with her boyfriend each week and they just reheat lunch and dinner. One friend enjoys an hour each Saturday chopping veggies with her kids. Another friend sends her kids off with her husband and enjoys the alone time. Get creative. Fun plans are more likely to stay in your schedule.
Do you have additional meal planning tips? Please share with our community in the comments. More hacks, insights, and tools are included in DYG Coaching’s weekly email and you will never miss a blog post. Sign up today!
Ready for improved health, a happier work life, and better sleep? Regular exercise can provide these benefits. We need more exercise and we need more hours in the day. What is your motivation to commit to regular exercise? Try this activity to help you find your motivation.
Go someplace you can sit without distraction for five minutes. Imagine that you are retired and living your ideal lifestyle. What does your day look like with less work responsibility and more leisure time - playing with grandkids, gardening, or perhaps golfing? What would bring you a sense of satisfaction and fun? Can you draw a picture or cut a picture from a magazine of what that would look like? Keep that picture where it will remind you why it is important to exercise every day. There’s your motivation.
The next obstacle in our busy lifestyles is time. If you are not exercising at all, ten minutes per day is a wonderful place to start. Try one or more of the ten tips below.
1. Get a fitness tracker. Knowing how many steps you take per day can incent you to walk more. Many trackers include a reminder to move each hour.
2. Get a fitness buddy and hold each other accountable. Remind each other to move.
3. Schedule active family time. Hike, walk, bike, together as a family.
4. Co-worker need advice? Ask them to join you on a walk.
5. Need to listen to a conference bridge call? Pick up your headphones, cell phone, and go for a walk.
6. Is your dog overweight? Exercise together. Take Fido for a walk.
7. Do crunches while watching TV.
8. Create a list of enjoyable activities, then mix up to keep it fresh.
9. Plant and maintain a garden.
10. Skip the elevator and take the stairs.
Do you have additional tips to fit some exercise into a busy day? Please share with our community in the comments. More hacks, insights, and tools are included in DYG Coaching’s weekly email and you will never miss a blog post. Sign up today!
Seven ideas to insert learning into your busy lifestyle:
1. Running U – join running university. Listen to podcasts during your walk, run, or gym workout. There are a wide variety of subjects available.
2. Commute classroom – listen to podcasts while trapped in traffic gridlock.
3. Trade TV time for Ted talks. The speakers are captivating and experts in their field.
4. You can explore a multitude of subjects in the arts and sciences in Online Classes at this free site.
5. You can earn certificates without the University enrollment fees through Coursera’s online classes.
6. Do you have an Amazon Prime membership? Thousands of Kindle books are available at no cost in Prime Reading. Pack your lunch, find a quiet place and read a book.
7. Take a break from work. Walk for 10-15 minutes and listen to a podcast.
Successful people take learning seriously and dedicate time daily. Do you have learning hacks that are not listed here? Please share in the comments!